Braided Ribbon Tote Plain Weave
Finished Dimensions: 17cm x 30cm x 19cm (37cm with handles)
Skill level: ★★☆☆☆
Prepare the Craft Band 15mm for this project
|7||Weaving cord||100cm||4||12||Craft Cord|
|11||Decorative Handle strip||48cm||1||12||Craft Cord|
- Make the base. Using Horizontal Strips 1 and 2, arrange as shown. Make sure that they are centered. Use a strip of masking tape to hold down as necessary.
- Glue Support Strip 3 along both sides as shown.
- Turn over, and glue Vertical Strip 4 along both sides as shown. Make sure they are centered.
- Flip back to the front, and using two (2) strips of Vertical Strip 4, weave as shown.
Push out to either side.
- Using the remaining strips of Vertical Strip 4, weave the base as shown. Make sure that all of the strips are centered.
- Glue the Reinforcement Strip 5 along the top and bottom as shown.
- Fold all of the strips upward.
- Starting at the second Vertical Strip, use Weaving Strip 6 to weave the first row, over and under. Use clothespins to help keep in place.
- Lightly fold at the corners when weaving.
- To finish the first row, glue the ends of the Weaving Strip together. The end of the strip should be glued behind where the row was begun.
- Take care to keep the ends hidden by the Vertical Strips.
- To start weaving the second row, use Weaving Strip 6 and start at the third Vertical Strip on the opposite side of the basket. This will help to maintain an even thickness.
- Second row has been completed.
- Use two more Weaving Strip 6 to weave two more rows, for a total of four rows.
- Use Weaving Cord 7 to weave the next 4 rows. When using the braid cord to weave, we suggest gluing the end to the Vertical Strip when you begin weaving each row.
- Use the remaining strips of Weaving Strip 6 to weave the last five rows, for a total of 13 rows
- For all of the Vertical Strips on the outside of the top row, fold inward.
- Tuck the ends into the third row from the top. Cut excess as necessary, the ends should be hidden.
- This is how it looks when Step 19 has been completed.
- Using one piece of Rim Reinforcement Strip 8, tuck in between the remaining Vertical Strips and the top row. Use the vertical Strip to hide where the ends are joined.
- For the remaining Vertical Strips, fold outward. Leave the third strip from either end on both sides intact. These will be used for the handles.
- Tuck the ends of the folded strips into the third row from the top. Cut excess as necessary so that the ends cannot be seen.
- This is how it should look when Step 23 has been completed. Only 4 Vertical Strips should remain intact.
- Using Handle Strip 9, insert into the basket on the inside of the two Vertical Strips on one side of the tote. Tuck the ends down to the second row from the top.
- Glue the Handle Strip to the Vertical Strip.
- Using Handle Strip 10, insert into the basket on the outside of the Vertical Strips. Tuck the ends down to the third row from the top. Glue Handle Strip 9 and 10 together.
- Glue Decorative Cord 11 to the handle, so that it faces outward. Repeat the same method to make the handle on the other side of the tote.
- Trim one end of the remaining Rim Reinforcement Strip into a point. Starting at the side of the tote, weave through every other Vertical Strip as shown.
- After going around the entire tote, cut off any excess and make sure that the end is hidden by a Vertical Strip.
- Fold at the corners, all the way down to the bottom. This will help to give the tote a boxy shape. Also, fold vertically in the middle of both sides of the tote, in the same manner as a paper bag.
- Using Bow Strip 12, create a loop and glue the ends together, overlapping by 1 centimeter.
- Flatten the loop, and keep the overlapped ends in the middle. Using Bow Strip 13, wrap around the center of the flattened loop, bringing the ends together in the back.
- Position the bow created in Step 33 in the middle of the third row from the top, as shown. Glue to the tote and it's completed!