New Year Ornament Wreath - “Shimenawa” Tutorial
Make this traditional Japanese holiday decoration with KaGOcraft’s Craft Band and add some Japanese charm to your home! “Shimenawa” is usually decorated on the door of one’s home.
Finished Dimensions: 21cm x 17cm
- Gorilla Wood Glue is highly recommended for best results.
- Under “Prepare the Craft Band” below, the strips are listed in the order they will be used.
- Finished item may vary slightly in size from the dimensions above.
- At KaGOcraft, we prefer to use centimeters for our measurements instead of inches, as it’s more precise for our projects and will yield the best results in the finished item.
- KaGOcraft’s Craft Band
- Floral Tape
- Pinking Shears or Pinking or Deckle Edged Decorative Scissors
Prepare the Craft Band:
Wreath Strip ① 90cm x 2 pcs (12 thread width)
Wreath Strip ② 90cm x 1 pcs (1 thread width - lamé)
Bundle Strip 50cm x 1 pcs (1 thread width)
Fruit 10cm x 5 pcs (1 thread width)
Leaf 5cm x 5 pcs (24 thread width)
Stem 10cm x 5 pcs 1 thread width)
Fan Strip ① 7cm x 5 pcs (12 thread width)
Fan Strip ② 7cm x 5 pcs (12 thread width)
- Tear both strips of Wreath Strip ① down to single threads. Combine with Wreath Strip ② to create a bundle. Fold the bundle in half, and cut. Trim off 4cm from one of the bundles.
- Mix the two bundles together.
While twisting, form into a wreath shape as shown. <About 10cm in diameter.>
- Use the Bundle Strip to wrap around the top of the wreath, where the two ends overlap, 4 times and secure with a knot to hold it in shape. Mix the ends into the existing bundle.
- Use one of the Fruit Strips and tie into a knot as shown.
Pull on the strip to tighten the knot, and trim where indicated by ⋰. Make 5 total.
- Trim the Leaf pieces into shape as shown, with pinking shears or decorative scissors. Glue the Stem threads as shown, Make 5 total.
- Arrange the leaves and the fruits together as shown.
- Use floral tape to wrap around the base and stems to hold the bundle together.
- Insert the fruit and leaf arrangement into the Bundle Strip on the wreath.
- Arrange Fan Strips ① and ② as shown, and secure the strips with glue.
- Secure the fan made in Step 11 to the wreath with glue. Completed!